General-Governers of Easten Siberia
F.N. Klichka left fame of a kind and just chief after himself in Irkutsk (1779-1783). He helped orphans and the poor and encouraged trade. During his rule the city school was opened in Irkutsk in 1781. Two-storey house for a public library was built on his initiative.
In 1819 a duke Speranskii was sent to Irkutsk to take Siberian General-Governor post (1819-1822). He did much for Siberia. According to his plan, Siberia was divided in two parts – Western and Eastern. Speranskii introduced collegial principles, idea of councils. During his rule an Irkutsk University foundation idea was conceived.
During a rule of General-Lieutenant V.Y. Rupert (1837-1847), come of the Dutch nobility, Elizabeth Medvednikova’s girlish orphanage house was opened in 1837, and in 1845 the Girlish Institute – first female middle educational establishment.
One of the most colorful figures of pre-Revolutionary Siberian administration is a duke N.N. Muravyov-Amurskii (1848-1861). He was an initiator and organizer of adding the Amur, Primorye and Sakhalin Island to Siberia. Intense colonization of newly acquired lands, a drawing of politically exiled persons to the administrative work, attentive attitude to the Decembrists and his work about a Russian Geographical Society Siberian Department creation in Irkutsk gave Muravyov-Amurskii a large popularity among the society upper strata.
3 years of General-Governor N.P. Sinelnikov’s rule (1871-1874) were marked by educational house, theater, the Noble Assembly organization, public garden appearance in Irkutsk.
Public reproduction of materials of this site or
separate parts, including electronic form,
admitted only with concent of Scientific Library of Irkutsk State University.
© Copyright Scientific Library of Irkutsk State University, 1999-2000
Webmaster Boris G.Fominyh